The $750 million rebuild of the iconic Sydney Fish Market has been given the green light by the NSW Government.
The approval came under the Government’s new Planning System Acceleration Program. It’s the 33rd project to be determined under the program, which is fast-tracking planning assessments to keep people in jobs and the economy moving.
The new fish market will make its home adjacent to the current fish market in Blackwattle Bay. And its development will bring a very welcome 700 jobs to Sydney’s construction industry.
It will also support the renewal of the Bays Precinct through the revitalisation of Blackwattle Bay, delivering a more accessible and attractive Harbour foreshore to the public.
According to the NSW Government stage 1 and stage 2 of the construction of the new Sydney Fish Market will include –
- the demolition of land and water-based structures including removal of marine piles and any resulting repairs to the existing seawall.
- the use of the site for a new Sydney Fish Market including waterfront commercial, tourist facilities and additional uses
- a building envelope with three above-ground levels and a basement parking level
- waterfront structures such as wharves
- improvements to the public domain including promenades, access to Blackwattle Bay and landscaping
- pedestrian, cycle and road access and circulation principles
- upgrade works to Bridge Road and its intersections with Wattle Street and Wentworth Park Road.
- The construction of a new 3-storey building that will include: wharf and boating facilities for fishing fleet servicing, a multi-purpose wharf for recreational vessels and the capacity for a private-operated ferry stop
- retail premises such as food retail, shops, markets and food and drink premises
- business and office premises
- multi-functional spaces and areas for exhibitions, events, functions
- staff amenities and end-of-journey facilities
- below ground parking consisting of 417 parking spaces
- waste management facilities
- a new public domain including promenades, access to Blackwattle Bay and landscaping
- pedestrian, cycle and road access
- road upgrades such as works to Bridge Road and its intersections with Wattle Street and Wentworth Park Road associated works and subdivision of land.
Construction on the new Fish Market will kick off in 8 weeks, and the project is due for completion in 2024.
Receive our updates straight to your inbox